Monday, April 04, 2011

Attachment Issues and Pole Beans

I got the sleeves attached to the hoodie this was way more of an ordeal than it should have been. I mean, how hard can it POSSIBLY be to knit across more stitches, right?!

Yeah. Not one but TWO snapped-off cables later (with associated "and then 80 - 120 stitches flew off and ran down 2 - 5 rows each"), they were finally in their proper places. Whew!

This weekend, the husband decided to clear out and organize the backyard storage shed. Much Freecycling happened, but guess what else we found, tucked into the way-way back corner of the loft, where only spiders dwell?

THREE bean towers (space-saving nifty things, like an umbrella-style clothesline only with the strings going to the ground, so your beans and other small-fruit vines can climb up them), and two tomato towers (same basic idea).

The boxes hadn't even been opened, and I don't remember buying them...ship date was 2000!!!

The bean towers are already up, and Kentucky pole beans are planted around them.  I am THRILLED...I was already using my one real trellis for the peas, and had resigned myself to having to wait until fall for the next 'cool weather climbers' planting!

Thank you, Past Me. Don't know what you were thinking when you bought those originally, but they will be EXTREMELY helpful now...


Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a cute sweater!

Tola said...

cool about the bean trellisses! uncool about the snapped cables.

Elizabeth L in Apex, NC said...

Now if I could just find those large bags of cash I got a few years ago. I'm sure they're around here somewhere...